Gingin Brook - Whakea Road
Basin : Moore-Hill rivers
Catchment : Moore River
The condition of the site Gingin Brook - Whakea Road (site code: MR65GING1) in the upper catchment of the Gingin Brook has been assessed several times, the latest was between 5 and 6 March 2019.
Prior to 2019 the site (under code GINGIN01A) was assessed in the summers of 2010/11 and 2012/13, 2016/17 and 2018/19, and also in September 2008 as part of a national assessment of river condition – view report here.
The assessment was conducted using standard methods from the South West Index of River Condition. Primarily measures chosen for this assessment included logging of water quality (dissolved oxygen, temperature, electrical conductivity, and pH) every 30 mins over the dry season in 2012/13. In the 2010/11, 2016/17 and 2018/19 dry seasons water quality was only logged over 24h.
In February, March and April 2011 and in March 2017 the site was also assessed for fish and crayfish, aquatic habitat, vegetation, channel morphology, erosion, connectivity, local land use and flow.
NOTE: In 2011 and 2017 this site was separated into two sections, the current site (Gingin Brook - Whakea Road) and also a section approximately 2km downstream (site: Gingin Brook - Downstream Cheriton weir). The large pool between these two areas was excluded due to shallow depth and access issues.
An online condition summary for this site in 2019 has not been prepared. The report for the 2010/11 sampling can be found here.
Please contact the Departments River Science team for site information, and see below for links to information on some of the species found at the site, and some images taken in 2019.
Fish and crayfish
Five fish and two crayfish species were found at this site in 2019, no exotic species were collected. In 2017 the same species were collected, except for south-western goby, (Afurcagobius suppositus) that was found for the first time in 2019. Only one individual was collectred, so this may have been a
Western Minnow (Galaxias occidentalis) that was found for the first time in 2017, was again collected in 2019. Similar abundances of each species were found 2019 compared to 2017, the exception was for western pygmy perch (Nannoperca vittata) where there were higher abundances in 2019.
Juvenile fish (young of year) were only found in low abundances in all sampling events. The general absence of juveniles which may be a function of timing and location of sampling, or be an indication of impaired reproduction; requires further investigation.
A list of species collected in 2019 is provided at the bottom of the page, click on the images to learn more about each species.
Note: only fish and crayfish are targeted by sampling methods, however where other species were caught and/or observed they are included below.
Explore other sites in the catchment
- Fletcher Gully - New Norcia Road
- Gingin Brook - Downstream Cheriton weir
- Gingin Brook - Downstream Mungala Brook
- Gingin Brook - Mortimer Street Gauging Station
- Gingin Brook - Upstream Mungala Brook
- Lennard Brook - Lennards Road
- Lennard Brook - Upstream Brand Highway
- Lower Gingin Brook Downstream
- Lower Gingin Brook Upstream
- Moore River - Lancelin Road Bridge
- Moore River - Mogumber West Nature Reserve
- Moore River - Regans Ford
- Moore River - Upstream Bindoon-Moora Road
- Moore River - Waterville Road
- Moore River North Branch - Bindoon Moora Road
- Moore River North Branch - Dandaragan Street
- Moore River North Branch - Molloy Street Moora
- Moore River North Branch - Upstream of Long Pool Bridge Gauging Station
- Red Gully Creek