Canning River - McNess Drive
Basin : Swan-Coastal
Catchment : Canning River
The condition of the Canning River - McNess Drive site (site code: CR45CANN1), in the upper catchment of the Canning River was assessed three times over the dry season of 2015/16 (2 and 3 December 2015, 2 and 3 February and 14 and 15 April 2016), over a 100-m length of stream. Additionally, water quality was logged at 30 minute intervals between November 2015 and May 2016.
The assessment was conducted using standard methods from the South West Index of River Condition. Measures chosen for this assessment included fish and crayfish, aquatic habitat, water quality (dissolved oxygen, temperature, electrical conductivity and pH), fringing vegetation, channel morphology, erosion, connectivity, local land use and flow.
The site was also previously assessed several times between November 2009 and April 2010; and December 2012 and April 2013 for some or all of the measures above. In 2009/10 the site was sampled 400m upstream at Confluence Stinton Creek upstream (site code: CONF).
An online condition summary for this site has not been prepared. Please contact the department’s River Science team for site information, and see below for links to information on some of the species found at the site, and some images taken in 2015/16.
A report from the 2009/10 sampling can be found here.
Fish and crayfish
Seven fish and three crayfish species were found at this site (combination of all 2015/16 sampling events), including two exotic fish and one exotic crayfish.
A list of species is provided at the bottom of the page, click on the images to learn more about each species.
Note: only fish and crayfish are targeted by sampling methods, however where other species were caught and/or observed they are included below.
Other aquatic fauna
The Western long-necked turtle (Chelodina colliei), Carter’s freshwater mussel (Westralunio carteri) were observed at this site in December 2015. One native Water rat (Hydromys chrysogaster) was also observed in April 2016.
Explore other sites in the catchment
- 31 Mile Creek
- Bannister Creek - Bywood Way
- Bannister Creek - Upstream Hybanthus Road
- Bannister Creek - Upstream Iveston Road
- Bannister Creek - Upstream Metcalf Road
- Bickley Brook - Canning River confluence
- Bickley Brook - Davison Road
- Bickley Brook - Eva Street Downstream
- Bickley Brook - Eva Street Upstream
- Bickley Brook - Mandarin Road
- Bickley Brook - Upstream BICKBK01A
- Bickley Brook - Upstream Mandarin Road
- Bull Creek - Upstream Corthinian Road
- Canning River - Brookton Highway
- Canning River - Civic Gardens
- Canning River - Hester Park
- Canning River - Kent St Weir Downstream
- Canning River - Kent St Weir Upstream
- Canning River - Lissiman Street
- Canning River - Odell Street
- Canning River - Stocker Road
- Canning River - Tributary
- Southern River
- Southern River - Shearwater Way
- Southern River - Wattledale Road
- Woodlupine Brook Branch Drain
- Wungong Brook - Bruns Drive
- Wungong Brook - South Western Highway
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV01
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV01A
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV05
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV05A
- Yule Brook