Southern River - Shearwater Way
Basin : Swan-Coastal
Catchment : Canning River
River condition at the Shearwater Way site (site code: CR13SOUT1, site reference: 6167147) was assessed between 23 and 24 January 2019 as part of the Healthy Rivers Program (Healthy Rivers), using standard methods from the South West Index of River Condition (SWIRC).
The site is in the lower catchment of the Southern River, about 3km upstream of the confluence with the Canning River. Field data collected included the following indicators, assessed over about a 100 m length of stream:
- Aquatic biota: fish and crayfish community information (abundance of native and exotic species across size classes, general reproductive and physical condition)
- Water quality: dissolved oxygen, temperature, specific conductivity, and pH (logged in-situ over 24 hours) as well as laboratory samples for colour, alkalinity, turbidity and nutrients
- Aquatic habitat: e.g. water depth, substrate type, presence of woody debris and detritus, type and cover of macrophytes and draping vegetation
- Physical form: channel morphology, bank slope and shape, bioconnectivity (barriers to migration of aquatic species), erosion and sedimentation
- Fringing zone: width and length of vegetation cover within the river corridor and lands immediately adjacent, structural intactness of riparian and streamside vegetation
- Hydrology: measures of flow (velocity) at representative locations (compared against data from stream gauging stations within the system)
- Local land use: descriptions of local land use types and activities (compared against land use mapping information for the catchment)
At this time no previous assessments of river ecology had been reported at this site.
A summary of aquatic biota detected over the different sampling events is provided in the section below. For other site data, please contact the department’s River Science team (please reference the site code and sampling dates).
Species found at the site
Fish and crayfish
As this was the first time this site had been sampled using SWIRC methods, the species expected to occur here (listed below) are based on species reported from studies conducted elsewhere in the catchment. As differences in habitat within a reach naturally influence species distributions, and variability in methods between sampling programs can affect the species caught, so this list is only indicative.
6 fish species (3 native and 3 exotic) and 2 native crustaceans were found at this site in 2019, see Table 1, below, for details.
Click here for full size table.
Only fish and freshwater crustaceans (crayfish and shrimp) that typically inhabit river channels are targeted by the standard SWIRC sampling methods.
Note: collection of fauna from WA’s inland aquatic ecosystems requires a license from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) and also the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA). All species collected must be reported to these agencies as part of license conditions.
Other aquatic fauna
The south-western snake-necked turtle (Chelodina colliei) was also found at this site.
Explore other sites in the catchment
- 31 Mile Creek
- Bannister Creek - Bywood Way
- Bannister Creek - Upstream Hybanthus Road
- Bannister Creek - Upstream Iveston Road
- Bannister Creek - Upstream Metcalf Road
- Bickley Brook - Canning River confluence
- Bickley Brook - Davison Road
- Bickley Brook - Eva Street Downstream
- Bickley Brook - Eva Street Upstream
- Bickley Brook - Mandarin Road
- Bickley Brook - Upstream BICKBK01A
- Bickley Brook - Upstream Mandarin Road
- Bull Creek - Upstream Corthinian Road
- Canning River - Brookton Highway
- Canning River - Civic Gardens
- Canning River - Hester Park
- Canning River - Kent St Weir Downstream
- Canning River - Kent St Weir Upstream
- Canning River - Lissiman Street
- Canning River - McNess Drive
- Canning River - Odell Street
- Canning River - Stocker Road
- Canning River - Tributary
- Southern River
- Southern River - Wattledale Road
- Woodlupine Brook Branch Drain
- Wungong Brook - Bruns Drive
- Wungong Brook - South Western Highway
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV01
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV01A
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV05
- Wungong River - WUNGRIV05A
- Yule Brook